A City Ripe for Innovation
After a long week – and some carpel-tunnel pain – I bring you some links of interest. Detroit is ripping it up again, getting some great virtual and real ink.
* Inc. magazine gives us “5 Reasons to Start a Business in Detroit.” Mayor Bing was so happy about this article he linked to it on Facebook. Read all the details here. A highlight:
With tons of open space, inexpensive rent, and legions of talented workers, the city was – and is – ripe for the kind of fresh and innovative thinking that drives new business.
* The San Francisco Business Times gives a nice shout-out to Detroit and Michigan in this piece about how we are ever so innovative. It seems we could give California a run for its money in terms of business opportunities. We may not have the sun, but we have some good incentives and a few starlets (see the following link!)
* Erin Cummings, one of the actors on “Detroit 1-8-7” gushes about her new job on Sirius radio. Check out her hotness here.
* This is an oldie, but a goodie. From the Huffington Post comes former Michiganian Wendy N. Powell on her takes for the state's future.
If you need some ideas on what to do this weekend:
* The Detroit Waldorf school invites you to a wonderful weekend of films to raise awareness on key issues concerning childhood, the environment, our food systems and Detroit. Films will be shown tonight and Saturday. They are showing “Play Again” and “Race to Nowhere”; both are related to how we can create healthy environments for children – at home and at school. More importantly, you can see “Grown in Detroit” by the amazing Manfred and Mascha. Attendees aged 18 and older, please. Tickets are $10 in advance/$15 at the door (per day).
* Get prepared for the see-and-be-seen event of the year: Fashion in Detroit returns Oct. 22 and 23.
* SAFE (Sisters Acquiring Financial Empowerment) is holding its annual “Health and Wealth” expo on Oct. 23. Get over there and learn something.
* Stop reading the blog. If you're in Metro Detroit, get outside. The weekend is going to be glorious. As if you need a reason to go check out Detroit's waterfront…But just in case you want some inspiration, check out these YouTube videos I stumbled across.
Oh, yeah…Go Blue!